Monday, July 02, 2007

First Impressions

Buskers at the Mindil Beach Sunset Markets in Darwin

After six days in the Northern Territory, I am already sensing why so many people come to this part of Australia and never leave. My initial impressions have been of warm, laid back people, an awe inspiring countryside, some very diverse communities and the opportunity to take part in meaningful, rewarding work, whether that be in community development, the arts, teaching or environmental management.

On arrival in Darwin I stayed with a colleague, John, and his lovely family. His two sons were very quiet during the drive home from the airport, until one finally picked up the courage to ask 'are you an alien - did you fly from outer space'... thanks to their Dad's tall-tales about who was going to stay with them, and my apparent ignorance to the fact that it was in fact 'freezing cold' and I should be wearing a sweater and shoes.

I spent a few days enjoying the company of friends in Darwin, which included a night at the Mindil Beach Markets, before my friend Becc arrived from Katherine. Becc and I had been close friends in Cambodia, first meeting when she sold me and taught me how to ride her old vespa. We spent a few days in Darwin together, catching up and doing the necessary 'Darwin' purchases (including my very first brand new bed, which I am now eagerly awaiting the arrival of), before making the three hour drive to my new home on Saturday evening.

The drive to Katherine was really quiet spectacular. As it is the dry season, there is a lot of native bush management burning taking place, and as we drove along the Stuart Highway in the dark, we were occasionally crossing magic fires which lit up the bush and and sent sparks flying into the night sky. This was accompanied by watching the full moon, the largest I have ever seen it, rising into the smoky sky. This experience really did spark my anticipation of what this new landscape and life may offer, and how lucky I am to have the chance to explore this part of my country.

As I arrived in Katherine at night, Becc took me on the 'Grand Tour' on Sunday, which consisted of showing me main street, her office, the golf club and the local supermarket. The town is small, yet has most things you need, although a little light on the good cafe statistics... This is made up by one of the biggest dive-through bottle shops I have ever seen... This day was topped off by eating huge steaks at the local pub, listening to a dreadful 1960's soul cover band... collars up folks!

Today I started work, and have already had meetings with a number of really inspirational and motivated people who work in health and education here in Katherine. It has been a very encouraging morning, and I am really looking forward to working on the project I have come here to participate in. But, more about that soon....

For now, I am still finding my feet, settling in and coming to terms with my new surroundings. All indications so far make this an exciting prospect and a place I think I may just come to love.

No comments: