Saturday, June 23, 2007

HoLLy SpAcEBaG

There are only four or five people on this earth who have witnessed the full extent of a Rhianna move - Manuela, Maxime, Romy, Niklas and my mother...

For those of you who have not, I thought I would share the experience - I have a small room at my mothers chaotic house, very small, maybe 2.5m sq. I have lived in four countries, and moved house nine times, in the past seven years... and I like stuff, I like having clothes, linen, nice kitchen things, mementos from various travels and lives... and I attach a lot of memories and sentimental value to these possessions (not very zen, I know) and ALL this stuff is now in my room... it is like a ship, things stowed everywhere, using the most ingenious storage ideas ikea have to offer... That works ok, until I have to MOVE again, until I have to sort through what comes with me and what stays, what gets thrown away and what is a keeper....

Until I have to open the spacebags full of things I keep packed away, and their contents expand and take over every inch of space in my life!!!

(Case in point - did I REALLY need that brown authentic Icelandic wool sweater.... costing $200, it itches, and I look like a giant whaling sailer in it... Helgi I blame you for that one!)

So - here's to simplifying life, to starting fresh, to letting go of the material, as it will never replace a memory, place, or friend...

And for future reference - please stop me shopping so much, and if you see me go to send packages home to my base, question the need for doing so! Please!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stop working on your blog and get on with your thesis!